Last week a local man, Harold Ward, wrote a letter to the editor in our local Thomson newspaper, The McDuffie Progress. He was completely steamed up that the government wasted a ton of money in the COVID-19 rescue bill. In protest he gave his check to a charity. I then responded with the following letter which will ran Thursday 22 April.
April 19, 2021
Letter to the Editor:
Mr. Ward, I appreciate the passion shown in your letter to the editor. And, I agree with most everything you had to say. Our only difference is that in my mind I figured the $1,400 was a very small reimbursement for all the taxes I’ve previously paid that went to causes for which I did not agree.
Your letter pointed out how frustrated you are with our current state of affairs. But, as you no doubt know and understand, the government spending like a drunk sailor is merely the tip of the iceberg. Our politicians have acquiesced, appeased and compromised on issues for the last fifty-plus years. Their self-serving determination and lack of sincere efforts to protect and serve our country have brought our nation to the brink of self-destruction.
Consider just a few items on the radical left’s immediate agenda. The baker’s dozen.
1. The left is hell bent on removing our historical monuments. That is any monument of a person, place or thing that may be associated with slavery. And, to some, that extends to sacred statues in the church.
2. For the same reason, they insist on renaming our streets, bridges, public buildings, schools, forts and historic places. 25% of Southern families owned slaves. That means 75% of Southern families never owned a slave. Poor Southern white families competed against slave labor to make a living.
3. The liberals are determined to teach false history in our schools, colleges and universities to fit a false narrative. Critical Race Theory is our newest education model.
4. The liberals are determined to forgive all outstanding federal student debt. Many of those children can’t find a job. It doesn’t matter that they majored in ridiculous and frivolous studies and know nothing of value with regards to what is needed in a competitive job market.
5. The liberals want to give citizenship to some 15 million undocumented migrants, or Dreamers, and they want to let anyone enter the country who wants in. This is all to solidify another Democrat voting block. And yes, you and I should provide them free health care.
6. The push is still on by some to defund the police. It doesn’t matter that crime continues to spike in areas where this reasoning is the strongest.
7. The pious WOKE want to personally destroy any public figure that has the audacity to think differently than they.
8. Apparently, the only advice that we should listen to is from the Squad of Four. They know what is best for us and the country. The liberal media cannot express their joy with the Four more often.
9. The media has become a lap dog for liberals. The former President was always wrong while the current is always correct. It’s almost impossible to recognize reporting that is factual vs. convoluted opinion.
10. Our current President is determined to put people in responsible positions based on identity politics instead of whether they are the best qualified. As a side note, one might say that it doesn’t seem wise to socially experiment with the security of our country.
11. Recently, a new House bill was introduced that, if passed, will require federal registration of all firearms. Imagine where that will lead.
12. The left wants it known perfectly clear that any white person that does not agree with what black people want is a racist, bigot and white supremacist. As a matter of fact, the local CEOs of both Coke and Delta have just made that assertion the newest reality.
13. And, last but certainly not least, Mr. Ward, they want you and me to pay reparations to atone for slavery because apparently you and I are responsible. And, if not for slavery, then redlining business districts or Jim Crow. Apparently it doesn’t matter that trillions and trillions of dollars have been spent since Lyndon Johnson shared Lady Bird’s epiphany. But, I would be remiss if I did not point out that all of these “new investments” will be done to supposedly promote peace. As the House member from New York, Jerold Nadler, recently pointed out as he agreed to entertain the House bill on reparations, it is not meant to divide or harm, rather it will promote reconciliation, harmony and a reason to come together as Americans.
Mr. Ward, you are distraught over the COVID 19 Rescue bill. Your head will explode if they pass the Infrastructure bill as written because at least half of it is rampant with political payoff.
In the last election 75 million Americans voted conservative. I don’t know what it’s going to take to wake up this very large silent minority. As you pointed out, “It is not the United States of America that I grew up in, and if we don’t make a stand, it never will be again.”